Iowa Basketball Forum

Iowa Basketball Forum

Iowa Hawkeyes men's and women's basketball discussion.

Connor info from On Iowa Pod

0 AP
Close Shave America's picture
April 19, 2017 at 11:11am

This interesting little bit of info came out in the On Iowa Podcast yesterday. Sounds like Connor is really leaning toward baseball. (See Fran's comment in bold.)

Q: Has Connor made a decision yet? Does he know what he wants to do for next year?

FM: He has not. It’s close. I think the hardest thing for him is the baseball/basketball piece. He wants to play for Coach Heller; he wants to play for me. That’s hard. We presently don’t have a scholarship, but that’s not as big of an issue. I could pay his way for the first year. He was thinking about prep school, and that might be an option.

Ultimately he’s just going to have to pull the trigger and don’t look back. I just have been encouraging him to, ‘Do what it is you want to do. Don’t worry about my program and do we need you. What do you think is best? Do you want to pursue baseball?’ If he comes here, he’ll play baseball exclusively right away. And he’ll take his time with basketball. That’s one of the things we’ve talked about. So we’ll see.

While Fran emphasizes that Connor hasn't made up his mind, it sounds like if he does become a Hawkeye, he would redshirt in basketball and focus on baseball as a freshman. So the Hawks may not have his services for at least another year, if at all. That would absolutely leave the door open for someone like Maishe Dailey to get more PT next year, and allow Christian Williams to keep his spot at backup PG. It would also put Connor in the same class as Joe Wieskamp.

It'll be interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks when Connor finally makes up his mind.

View 5 Comments