We already knew most of who Iowa would be playing in the non-conference portion of their schedule and also knew the breakdown of opponents that Iowa would be seeing in the Big Ten portion of their schedule. And now we have more details about Iowa's 2017-18 hoops schedule, namely all of the opponents and what days the games will be played on. Start times and TV info for most games is still TBA. Here's the full schedule:
|FRI 10/27/17||TBA||William Jewell College (exhib)||Iowa City, IA||TBA|
|THU 11/2/17||TBA||Belmont Abbey College (exhib)||Iowa City, IA||TBA|
|FRI 11/10/17||TBA||Chicago State||Iowa City, IA||TBA|
|SUN 11/12/17||TBA||Alabama State||Iowa City, IA||TBA|
|THU 11/16/17||TBA||Grambling State||Iowa City, IA||TBA|
|MON 11/20/17||11:00 AM||Lousiana (Cayman Islands Classic)||George Town, Cayman Islands||TBA|
11:00 AM or
|Wyoming or South Dakota State (Cayman Islands Classic)||George Town, Cayman Islands||TBA|
|WED 11/22/17||TBA||TBA||George Town, Cayman Islands||TBA|
|TUE 11/28/17||TBA||Virginia Tech (ACC-Big Ten Challenge)||Blacksburg, VA||TBA|
|SAT 12/2/17||TBA||Penn State||Iowa City, IA||TBA|
|MON 12/4/17||TBA||Indiana||Bloomington, IN||TBA|
|THU 12/7/17||TBA||Iowa State (Cy-Hawk Series)||Ames, IA||TBA|
|SUN 12/10/17||TBA||Southern||Iowa City, IA||TBA|
|SAT 12/16/17||TBA||Drake (Big Four Classic)||Des Moines, IA||TBA|
|TUE 12/19/17||TBA||Southern Utah||Iowa City, IA||TBA|
|FRI 12/22/17||TBA||Colorado||Sioux Falls, SD||TBA|
|FRI 12/29/17||TBA||Northern Illinois||Iowa City, IA||TBA|
|TUE 1/2/18||TBA||Michigan||Iowa City, IA||TBA|
|THU 1/4/18||TBA||Ohio State||Iowa City, IA||TBA|
|SUN 1/7/18||TBA||Maryland||College Park, MD||TBA|
|THU 1/11/18||TBA||Illinois||Champaign, IL||TBA|
|WED 1/17/18||TBA||Rutgers||Piscataway, NJ||TBA|
|SAT 1/20/18||TBA||Purdue||Iowa City, IA||TBA|
|TUE 1/23/18||TBA||Wisconsin||Iowa City, IA||TBA|
|SAT 1/27/18||TBA||Nebraska||Lincoln, NE||TBA|
|TUE 1/30/18||TBA||Minnesota||Iowa City, IA||TBA|
|SAT 2/3/18||TBA||Penn State||University Park, PA||TBA|
|TUE 2/6/18||TBA||Michigan State||Iowa City, IA||TBA|
|SAT 2/10/18||TBA||Ohio State||Columbus, OH||TBA|
|WED 2/14/18||TBA||Michigan||Ann Arbor, MI||TBA|
|SAT 2/17/18||TBA||Indiana||Iowa City, IA||TBA|
|WED 2/21/18||TBA||Minnesota||Minneapolis, MN||TBA|
|SUN 2/25/18||TBA||Northwestern||Iowa City, IA||TBA|
A few notes about the schedule:
- That's not a very thrilling non-conference schedule overall (the highlights are games against Iowa State, Colorado, and Virginia Tech, as well as a possible match-up with Cincinnati in the Cayman Islands Classic championship game), and it's even worse for home fans. If you were an Iowa fan envious of not being able to see Iowa hoops roll bad teams during their recent European excursion, don't fret -- you should have several opportunities to see them thrash overmatched opponents during the non-conference portion of the schedule this year.
- To wit, Iowa's first five non-conference opponents to visit CHA all ranked in the 300s in KenPom last year; the highest-ranked of the bunch was Southern at... 326th. There are going to be a lot of opportunities to see the guys at the end of the bench in November and December.
- Until Big Ten play really gets underway in January, Iowa's only home game likely to generate any intrigue is the visit from Penn State on December 2nd; Penn State has been up-and-coming for a while under Pat Chambers, but they return quite a bit of talent from last season and should be a feisty opponent, at the very least.
- That game is also part of a shake-up to Big Ten scheduling this season, which has two league games being played in early December, while the remaining 16 games are spread throughout January and February. The shake-up stems in part from the compressed Big Ten schedule resulting from the Big Ten Tournament being moved up a week (February 28-March 4 in New York City) and in part from a desire to make that opening weekend of December a Big Ten sports extravaganza. All Big Ten teams will be playing two games that weekend (Iowa is home to Penn State on Saturday and at Indiana on Monday), all sandwiched around the Big Ten Championship Game in football on Saturday night. (Iowa wrestling also has a dual with Illinois that weekend, to make that weekend even B1G-ger.)
- Iowa's proper B1G schedule opens up with home games against Michigan and Ohio State, before a three-game road trip to Maryland, Illinois, and Rutgers. Three-game road trips in league play are never fun, but that looks like a fairly manageable one for Iowa -- Maryland will be tough in College Park, but getting rebuilding Illinois and Rutgers teams isn't a bad draw.
- After that Iowa has four home games in six games and that stretch seems likely to define Iowa's Big Ten title challenge. They face Purdue, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan State in those home games, which will be daunting. MSU is expected to be the heavy preseason league favorite, while Purdue and Minnesota are widely tipped to contend for Top 4 finishes. And if Greg Gard taps into some more of Bo Ryan's unused #WisconsinDevilMagic, the Badgers could again be a formidable opponent. The road games in that stretch (Nebraska and Penn State) aren't the most imposing, but they could be tricky, especially sandwiched between those blockbuster home games.
- Iowa's season wraps up with three road games in their final five (at Ohio State, Michigan, and Minnesota) and home to Indiana and Northwestern. If Iowa is really humming by then, that could be a stretch that lends itself to a strong finish for Iowa.
- This always seems to come up, so let's just note that Iowa has three Saturday home games on this schedule and a total of six weekend (Saturday or Sunday) home games. Could be better, could be worse on that front.
Anyway, that's the schedule. What do you make of it? Let us know in the comments.