It's been a few years since the Iowa men's basketball team has sported new uniforms, but that's going to change in 2019-20. They teased their new uniforms on Tuesday night:
New Season. New Threads. pic.twitter.com/nLEJgM6BtJ— Iowa Basketball (@IowaHoops) October 9, 2019
And on Wednesday, at their Media Day event, they showed off the new look (or at least the home white version of the new look; presumably there's also an inverted black away version of this design and possibly a gold version as well).
(photo: Stephen Mally / Hawkeye Sports)
In case you've forgotten what Iowa's previous uniforms looked like, here's a reminder:
(photo: Jeffrey Becker / USA TODAY SPORTS)
Overall the new look is a simpler, pared down look from what Iowa had.
- The font on the "IOWA" across the chest is a bit different (and in line with the font that Iowa currently uses across the athletic department)
- The gold outline around the letters and numbers on the front (and back) of the jersey is also gone.
- There's a black ring around the sleeves on the new uniforms.
The biggest changes are on the shorts:
- The arrows on both sides of the shorts (and also on the sides of the jerseys) have been replaced with a brand-new design. A large gold stripe runs down the left side of the jersey (accented with a thin black stripe on both sides). At the bottom of the short the gold stripe turns 90 degrees and creates a gold stripe across the bottom of both shorts.
- While the previous version of the shorts featured a small tigerhawk on the bottom of the left and right side of the shorts, the new version has a much (much) larger tigerhawk on the right short (clearly visible on Nunge above).
This asymmetrical design seems to be an homage to a past Iowa basketball uniform -- specifically the 1986-87 look that Iowa rocked:
The new unis for Iowa MBB seem a bit like a modernized version of the 86-87 unis pic.twitter.com/hMuMhfuDRq— Go Iowa Awesome (@IowaAwesome) October 9, 2019
Here's a color version of that uniform (albeit a little blurry):
That Iowa team went 30-5 and made the Elite 8 so, you know, not a bad look to try and emulate!
There's a photo gallery from Iowa Media Day at Hawkeye Sports that features many more images of the new uniforms, so give that a look.
Like the new uniforms? Hate 'em? Let us know in the comments and vote in the poll.