(Some) Iowa Football Game Times Announced

By Mike Jones on May 31, 2018 at 2:52 pm
A UNI night game? OK.

© Jeffrey Becker-USA TODAY Sports

15 Comments

Iowa Football made start times official for seven football games this fall, including Iowa State, the Battle for the Floyd of Rosedale and homecoming against Maryland. The games that were announced and the networks are (all times Central):

Sept. 1        Northern Illinois, 2:30 PM, Big Ten Network

Sept. 8        Iowa State, 4:00 PM, FOX

Sept. 15      Northern Iowa, 6:30 PM, Big Ten Network

Oct. 6          at Minnesota, 3:30 or 4 PM, TBA

Oct. 13        at Indiana, 11:00 AM, ABC/ESPN/ESPN2

Oct. 20        Maryland, 11:00 AM, TBA

Nov. 23      Nebraska, 11:00 AM, FOX

Personally, I wouldn’t squander a 2:30 PM start against Iowa’s true rival from the state of Illinois, NIU, but I don’t handle the schedule. I also think that early September afternoons are miserable but that’s neither here nor there.

I think we can all agree that if we’re going to continue to be forced to play Iowa State, that a late afternoon start time is preferable. 4:00 PM is enough time for Iowa fans to get lubricated, Iowa State fans to finish plowing and tilling and for Kirk Ferentz to appropriately adorn Matt Campbell’s coffin with all of his Division III Championship banners from the University of Mount Union. Plus, it’s on FOX so there’s always the possibility of some GUS.

A UNI night game? Alright. Why? Again, I’m not sure why we’re using all of the cool time slots against lesser opponents but I guess this is what the nine game conference schedule does to you.

The Battle for the Floyd of Rosedale is appropriately slotted in my opinion, as I think it should be showcased as an afternoon game. I understand the rah rah rah Big Ten football is played at 11:00 AM nonsense but ain’t nobody got time for that.

That the Battle for the Floyd of Rosedale is up in the air for a network slot but the Indiana game isn’t is somewhat perplexing to me. We all know that Indiana v. Iowa is an ESPN2 lock.

Maryland will serve as Iowa’s homecoming opponent which is meh but considering it is the only home game for Iowa in the entire month of October, it’s not like they have a lot of choices. Yeah, if you didn’t know, Iowa plays four out of five games on the road starting on October 6th.

Finally, Iowa caps off the regular season with the Heroes Game against Nebraska at 11:00 AM. No one wants to play football at 11:00 AM, especially on Black Friday after eating 10,000 calories but hey, Moneybags Delany is making the call here.  Let’s just be glad when this game is gone, if only temporarily.

Thoughts, Iowa fans? (And don't forget you can always get current schedule information from our Schedule page, available here or under the Football header at the top of the page.)

15 Comments