WHO: CSU-Bakersfield Roadrunners (2-0) and Kent State Golden Flashes (3-1)
WHEN: Friday, September 9, 2018
4:30 PM (CT): CSU-Bakersfield
6:00 PM (CT): Kent State
WHERE: Kent State Field House (Kent, OH)
RADIO: Hawkeye All-Access; AM 800 near Iowa City or iHeart Radio (online)
Iowa wrestling is set to get officially underway this weekend with a trip to Kent, OH to participate in the Frenzy at the Field House, a four-team event featuring Iowa, Kent State (the hosts), CSU-Bakersfield and Wisconsin in a series of dual meets. (Iowa and Wisconsin are not squaring off, although they will face one another in B1G action later in the season.) But let's be honest: this is really more of a soft launch, between the absences in the Iowa lineup and the weakness of the competition.
At least three regular starters are sitting this trip out -- Jacob Warner is being rested after competing in the World Junior Championships earlier this fall, Sam Stoll is serving a suspension for his involvement in an incident with a gun over the summer, and Michael Kemerer is sitting out for undisclosed reasons. Vince Turk, who is still a factor in the race to start at 141, is also sitting out this dual while he serves a suspension for the same incident involving Stoll. That's a lot of high-profile absences for the Hawkeyes.
But even with all those notable guys being out of action for Iowa, they don't figure to be challenged all that much by either the Roadrunners or the Golden Flashes. They're better teams than what Iowa usually faced in the Iowa City Duals, Iowa's old season-opening event, but the result of these duals should still be very lopsided in favor of the Hawkeyes. CSU Bakersfield and Kent State have a combined two wrestlers ranked in the Top 20 across their entire projected lineups. Iowa won't get as many bonus points with the likes of Kemerer, Warner, and Stoll missing these duals and they might even lose a few more matches as a result, but the overall outcome shouldn't be in any doubt: Iowa is going to roll.
|WEIGHT||IOWA (0-0)||CSU BAKERSFIELD (2-0)||KENT STATE (3-1)|
|125||#1 Spencer Lee (SO, 0-0)||Alex Hernandez-Figueroa (RS FR, 2-0)||
Jake Ferri (SO, 5-1) /
Tomas Gutierrez (SO, 4-2)
|133||#11 Austin DeSanto (SO, 0-0)||#18 Sean Nickell (JR, 2-0)||
Tim Rooney (JR, 5-1) /
Raphael Rodriguez (RS FR, 2-3)
|141||UR Max Murin (RS FR, 0-0)||
Carlos Herrera(JR, 0-1) /
Noah Blakley-Beanes (SO, 1-0)
Cory Simpson (SO, 5-3) /
Leno Ciotti (FR, 2-3)
|149||#10 Pat Lugo (JR, 0-0)||Russell Rohlfing (SO, 1-0)||
Kody Kamara (RS FR, 5-3) /
Jake Hinkson (RS FR, 2-2)
|157||#15 Kaleb Young (SO, 0-0)||Wyatt Gerl (JR, 1-0)||
Richard Jackson (SO, 2-2) /
Joe Andrassy (RS FR, 2-3)
|165||#4 Alex Marinelli (SO, 0-0)||Jacob Thalin (SO, 1-1)||
Isaac Bast (SR, 6-0) /
Lane Hinkle (SO, 3-3)
|174||UR Myles Wilson (RS FR, 0-0)||Bryan Battisto (JR, 1-0)||Dylan Barreiro (SO, 7-0)|
#12 Cash Wilcke (JR, 0-0) /
UR Mitch Bowman (SR, 0-0)
|Dominic Ducharme (RS FR, 1-0)||Andrew McNally (SO, 8-0)|
|197||UR Connor Corbin (RS FR, 0-0)||Mark Penyacsek (SO, 0-1)||
Shane Mast (JR, 4-1) /
#2 Kyle Conel (SR, 1-0)
|285||UR Aaron Costello (RS FR, 0-0)||Jacob Sieder (SO, 1-0)||
Billy Bolia (RS FR, 5-3) /
Spencer Berthold (RS FR, 4-2)
(all rankings via InterMat)
A few notes:
- Iowa and CSU-Bakersfield are meeting for the 7th time ever, although the first time since 1984; Iowa is 6-0 all-time against the Roadrunners.
- Iowa and Kent State have never previously faced off in a dual meet.
- CSU-Bakersfield went 2-0 last week against Life Pacific and San Francisco State.
- Kent State has probably had the busiest schedule of any team in the sport so far: they wrestled four duals last Friday (beating Kent State Tuscarawas, Lindsey Wilson, and Cowley and losing to Ashland), then went and competed in the Clarion Open on Saturday; this week they're set to face CSU-Bakersfield, Wisconsin, and Iowa on Friday, and then they're going to Penn State for a dual on Sunday. That's kinda nuts.
- Needless to say, that's why Kent State has multiple guys listed at almost every weight; they're going to be engaging in some rotation through their duals on Friday.
There's no point in doing weight-by-weight previews for these duals, so instead I'm going to offer a few prop bets. Feel free to make your picks in the comments:
- 3.5: over-under for total matches lost by Iowa over these two duals
- 6.5: over-under for total pins for Iowa over these two duals
- 7.5: over-under for total technical falls for Iowa over these two duals
- 9.5: over-under for total major decisions for Iowa over these two duals
- 40.5: over-under for Iowa team points versus CSU-Bakersfield
- 35.5: over-under for Iowa team points versus Kent State
Iowa gets underway with a dual meet against CSU Bakersfield at 4:30 PM CT, followed by a dual meet with Kent State at 6 PM CT. I'll try to post results and reaction in the comments, but feel free to do the same as well.
The usual rules apply.