There aren't too many changes to Iowa's depth chart for this week's game against (gulp) Ohio State, so let's just cut to the chase...
|POS||FIRST STRING||SECOND STRING||POS||FIRST STRING||SECOND STRING|
|QB||NATHAN STANLEY (So)||TYLER WIEGERS (Jr)||DE||ANTHONY NELSON (So)||SAM BRINCKS (Jr)|
|RB||AKRUM WADLEY (Sr)||JAMES BUTLER (Sr)||DT||MATT NELSON (Jr)||CEDRICK LATTIMORE (So)|
|FB||DRAKE KULICK (Sr)||BRADY ROSS (So)||DT||NATHAN BAZATA (Sr)||BRADY REIFF (So)|
|WR||MATT VANDEBERG (Sr)||BRANDON SMITH (Fr)||DE||PARKER HESSE (Jr)||A.J. EPENESA (Fr)|
|WR||NICK EASLEY (Jr)||IHMIR SMITH-MARSETTE (Fr)||OLB||BEN NIEMANN (Sr)||KEVIN WARD (Sr)|
|TE||NOAH FANT (So)||NATE WIETING (So)||MLB||JOSEY JEWELL (Sr)||KRISTIAN WELCH (So)|
|TE||T.J. HOCKENSON (RS Fr)||PETER PEKAR (Sr)||WLB||BO BOWER (Sr)||AARON MENDS (Jr)|
|LT||ALARIC JACKSON (RS Fr)||SEAN WELSH (Sr)||CB||JOSH JACKSON (Jr)||MATT HANKINS (Fr)|
|LG||KEEGAN RENDER (Jr)||ROSS REYNOLDS (Jr)||SS||AMANI HOOKER (So)||MILES TAYLOR (Sr)|
|C||JAMES DANIELS (Jr)||COLE BANWART (RS Fr)||FS||JAKE GERVASE (Jr)||GENO STONE (Fr)|
|RG||SEAN WELSH (Sr)||LEVI PAULSEN (So)||CB||MANNY RUGAMBA (So)||MICHAEL OJEMUDIA (So)|
|RT||TRISTAN WIRFS (Fr)||LEVI PAULSEN (So)||LS||TYLER KLUVER (Sr)||JACKSON SUBBERT (So)|
|K||MIGUEL RECINOS (Jr)||KEITH DUNCAN (So)||P||RYAN GERSONDE (Fr)||COLTEN RASTETTER (So)|
|KR||IVORY KELLY-MARTIN (Fr)||AKRUM WADLEY (Sr)||PR||MATT VANDEBERG (Sr)||JOSH JACKSON (Jr)|
A few thoughts...
- James Butler's return to the field means he also returns to the depth chart, replacing Ivory Kelly-Martin and Toren Young as Wadley's primary backup. He looked... OK against Minnesota; hopefully he can provide a spark for Iowa's running game in the final four games of the regular season.
- With Boone Myers expected to be out for the rest of the season after undergoing ankle surgery, his replacement at backup LT is Sean Welsh, Iowa's starting right guard. So presumably if something happened to Alaric Jackson, Welsh would move to LT and Levi Paulsen would slot in at RG? Maybe? Who knows.
- No real changes on defense; Matt Nelson remains ahead of Cedrick Lattimore, although Lattimore did have probably his best game of the season off the bench last week. Maybe losing his starting role has lit a fire under Lattimore. Jackson and Rugamba are still the starting corners and Hooker and Gervase are still the starting safeties with Snyder continuing to sit with his sprained knee.
- Gersonde and Rastetter split the punting duties against Minnesota, with Gersonde punting five times and Rastetter punting four times, so while Gersonde is still the listed starter here, we probably shouldn't be surprised if Rastetter gets some work as well.
- And finally, Matt VandeBerg has supplanted Josh Jackson as Iowa's lead punt returner (which actually happened in the Minnesota game), to which we can only say: hallelujah. VandeBerg's punt returns weren't anything noteworthy in that game (four for nine yards), but he kept Iowa from losing yards as Jackson did on a few occasions over the last few weeks, so that's still an improvement. Let Jackson focus on being a very very good cornerback instead.
What did you notice in the depth chart? Hit up the comments.